Who are Newberg Animal Shelter Friends?
NASF is the 501c3 fundraising organization that has been raising money since 2000 for the construction of a new shelter building. Review our About Us page to see specific details on the history of the shelter.

What’s the difference between the Animal Shelter and Animal Control?
Newberg Animal Shelter Friends is a private non-profit organization that operates Newberg Animal Shelter. Our mission is to provide a caring environment for homeless animals and find them nurturing homes.

Animal Control is an entity that is responsible for the enforcement, investigation, and prosecution of violations pertaining to the animal control ordinances. Yamhill County Dog Control is Animal Control for rural Yamhill County. Newberg does not have a dedicated Animal Control department. Newberg-Dundee Police Department (NDPD) handles Animal Control for the cities of Newberg and Dundee. Newberg Animal Shelter holds two kennels open for NDPD for public safety reasons such as bite quarantine or protective custody. We accept strays 7 days a week 8:30am – 6:30pm from citizens who find a dog.

Does the shelter have a kennel license?
Yes. We completed building improvements and passed inspection by Yamhill County on March 30, 2017 to receive our kennel license.

What comes with my dog or cat when I adopt it?
Every adopted pet is spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, treated for parasites and receives all necessary medical attention.

How many animals do you adopt a year?
2015 – 186 dogs and cats

2016 – 385 dogs and cats

2017 – 578 cats and dogs

2018 – 804 cats and dogs

Do you have a community pet food bank?
We work with FISH and YCAP by providing cat and dog food to them to support the needs of the entire family for those who are seeking their services.

Where do you get your dogs and cats?
We accept dogs and cats from people who need to rehome them. We do not charge a surrender fee.
Our mission is to save as many lives as possible.  Yamhill County pets are always our priority.  When we have empty kennels, we take in dogs and cats that are transferred from high-kill animal welfare organizations in Oregon and other states.

What do I do if I find a stray dog?
We are open to drop off stray dogs 7 days a week, 8:00am – 6:30pm.

Review our Lost and found page for information.

I have lost my dog or cat, what is the process for finding my pet?

Review our Lost and Found page for information.

Who do I call to complain about a dog barking or a vicious dog at large?

Contact Newberg-Dundee Police Dept at the Non-Emergency phone number 503-538-8321.

How do I get a livestock permit to have chickens or other livestock within the city limits?
This permit will now be obtained through the Newberg Ordinance officer. Fill out this application and return it to the City of Newberg.

When is the shelter open?
We are open Wednesday – Saturday 11:00am to 6:00pm. Or you can setup an appt for a specific time by contacting us at 503-554-9285 or newberganimals@gmail.com.

How can I find out what dogs are available for adoption?
Our adoptable pets can be found on our Petfinder page. We also post pets on our Facebook page.

Where is the shelter located?
Adoptable pets can be found at 1591 S. Sandoz Rd. Off of NE Wynooski Rd near Hwy 219. Google maps also states the location as 1591 S Avalon Park, it is the same location. We have not been able to get that corrected.

Where do I license my dog?
You can license your dog at the shelter. Additionally, follow this link to see the list of vet locations where you can also license your dog.

Will you take my personal animal that I can no longer care for?
We accept pets for rehoming from owners who can no longer keep them. Review our rehome page for more information.

Can I volunteer at the shelter?
Yes, we are accepting volunteer applications. Review our Volunteer page for information on opportunities. Shelter volunteers must be 18 years old.

How can I help?
Check out our Donate page for more details.